Overnight restrictions essential on two Galway water supplies
12 August 2022
In order to maintain a daytime water supply, Uisce Éireann is advising customers on the Carna/Kilkieran and Roundstone Water Supplies in Co Galway that nighttime restrictions are essential.
As the dry weather continues so too does the high level of domestic, commercial and agricultural demand for treating drinking water in those areas.
Working with Galway County Council, Uisce Éireann is taking every measure to ensure that supply can keep up with the increased demand but in order to allow reservoir levels recover restrictions are essential overnight between 11pm and 7am on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, August 12, 13 and 14.
Uisce Éireann’s Ronan Daly explained that demand on the Carna/Kilkieran and Roundstone networks remains high.
“Uisce Éireann understands the inconvenience the restrictions will cause but it is necessary to maintain reservoir levels and ensure a sufficient water supply to homes and businesses during normal working hours."
“We are working with Galway County Council to lift the nighttime restrictions as soon as possible but in the meantime, we are appealing to customers to be mindful of how they use their water at home. Do not run taps needlessly, take showers instead of baths and postpone using dishwashers and washing machines where possible.”
There are a number of easy steps to reduce water usage during the hot weather, including:
- Avoid power washing and keep the garden hose in the shed
- Check for leaks on outdoor taps or troughs as these can lead to large losses of treated water
- Remember that paddling pools and swimming pools can use huge volumes of water so consider reusing the water for the garden or cleaning the car.
- Report any visible leaks on the public network to Uisce Éireann at water.ie or call 1800 278 278.
- Where householders experience very low flow or pressure, lower than neighbouring properties, they may have a service pipe leak. Uisce Éireann’s First-Fix-Free Scheme can help with the location and repair of external leaks. Details on our website or call 1800 278 278.
Further information on water conservation is available here.
Vulnerable customers who have registered with Uisce Éireann receive direct communications from us for planned and unplanned outages lasting more than four hours.
Uisce Éireann thanks customers for their patience while we work to restore normal supply to all customers. The Uisce Éireann customer care helpline is open 24/7 on 1800 278 278 and customers can also contact us on Twitter @IWCare with any queries. For updates, please visit the Supply and Service Updates section of the Uisce Éireann website.