Water Tariff Discounts
If you are a non domestic customer and have been affected by a Water Quality Notice since 1 October 2014, you are entitled to a tariff discount on your water charges.
Tariff discounts for customers affected by a Water Quality Notice
Non domestic customers who have been affected by a Water Quality Notice since 1 October 2014 are entitled to a tariff discount on their water charges for the period the Water Quality Notice was in place.
On this page, if you have been affected by a Water Quality Notice, you will find details of how and when you should expect to receive your tariff discount.
What is a Water Quality Notice?
A Water Quality Notice is a Boil Water Notice or Drinking Water Restriction Notice that is issued to you when your water quality is not suitable for drinking directly from the tap.
- A Boil Water Notice is issued in cases where it is essential for customers to boil all water for food preparation and direct consumption
- A Drinking Water Restriction Notice is issued when customers are advised not to use the water for drinking or food preparation
These notices are issued on advice from the Health Service Executive (HSE)
How are tariff discounts calculated?
The Water Charges Plan, approved by the Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU), sets out the following:
- Tariff discounts are applicable from 1 October 2014
- Customers who use more than 50,000m³ of water per annum and are not involved in the manufacture or production of food and drink will receive a 5% water tariff discount for the period they were impacted by a Water Quality Notice
- All other customers will receive a 40% water tariff discount for the period they were impacted by a Water Quality Notice
- Where a property is mixed use (commercial and domestic), the tariff discount will be adjusted for any domestic allowance received by the customer
The Water Charges Plan is available on the CRU website.
The tariff discount is calculated by applying the above rules to the water supply charge for the period of the Water Quality Notice.
If the Water Quality Notice does not cover a full billing period, the water supplied charge is calculated on a pro-rata basis for the number of days the Water Quality Notice was in place.
In situations where
- There is no water usage during the billing period, or
- A customer receives a domestic allowance and this domestic allowance is greater than the water usage charge for the billing period
a non domestic customer who has been affected by a Water Quality Notice will not receive a tariff discount on their bill.
We have created some examples to illustrate how discounts are calculated.
How will I receive my tariff discount?
Irish Water will identify non domestic customers affected by a Water Quality Notice, calculate the tariff discount due and apply this to your bill.
This tariff discount will be applied as a credit to your bill in one of two ways:
A) The tariff discount due for any days you are impacted by a Water Quality Notice from 20 November 2018 onwards will be automatically be applied to your bill with the description “Drinking Water Restriction”.
For example, if a Water Quality Notice was in place from 1 May 2019 to 16 May 2019 and the customer billing period is 1 April 2019 to 30 June 2019, a tariff discount for the 16 days impacted will be applied to the bill for the period 1 April 2019 to 30 June 2019. The tariff discount will continue to be applied to all subsequent bills until the Water Quality Notice is lifted.
B) If you were impacted by a Water Quality Notice between 1 October 2014 and 19 November 2018, a one-off tariff discount will be calculated for all the days impacted and applied to the bill with the description “Drinking Water Restriction Rebate”.
Any non domestic customer who has an open Water Quality Notice on 20 November 2018 will receive the tariff discount via a combination of the two methods:
- A one-off tariff discount for the period affected up to the 19 November 2018
- An automatic tariff discount for the days affected from 20 November 2018 onwards
When will I receive my tariff discount?
Tariff discounts will start to be issued from 20 November 2018. Most affected customers will receive any tariff discount due on the first bill they receive from Irish Water after 1 January 2019.
Tariff discount application form
If you believe you are due a tariff discount as a result of being impacted by a Water Quality Notice and have not received one, on the first bill you receive from Irish Water after 1 January 2019, you can request a tariff discount using one of the following options:
- Complete the tariff discount application form
- Call our customer helpline on 1850 778 778 or 01 707 2827
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your details
If you require any assistance completing the form, please contact us.