The Water Cross Industry Graduate Development Programme 2023 - 2025
As the Water Services Industry in Ireland continues to transform, applications are open for a specialised graduate programme within the Water Services Industry.
Industry: Engineering/Environmental Science/Quantity Surveying/Planning/Business Analysts
Duration: 2 years [3 x 8-month rotations]
As the Water Services Industry in Ireland continues to transform, applications are open for a specialised graduate programme within the Water Services Industry. The aim of the programme is to give participants a unique opportunity to become involved in this transformation. Partners from across the industry have come together to collaborate in a unique Programme, the only one of its kind in Ireland at a National level, allowing participants to become true specialists in the Water Engineering space.
The partnership comprises Client: Irish Water; Consultancy: RPS; Ryan Hanley; Jacobs Engineering; Nicholas O’Dwyer; AECOM; JB Barry; and Tobin/McAdam, and Contractor: Glan Agua; EPS; Veolia; Ward & Burke; Coffey and Shareridge.
As a participant on this programme, you will have the opportunity to benefit from rotations that will allow you to gain experience of Client, Consulting and Contractor perspectives on some of the largest Water infrastructure projects in the country.
- The Programme will be for a duration of 2 years.
- You will spend 8 months at Irish Water within Asset Delivery and/or Asset Planning in Asset Management; 8 months with one of our Consultancy Partners; and 8 months with one of our Contractor partners. Please note, there will be a requirement to relocate on at least one rotation, depending on the company’s business needs
- During this time, you will have on-going mentoring and on–the-job training
- This will be augmented by structured and relevant Inductions and Development Programmes
On successful completion of the 2-year programme, a number of permanent positions will be available within Irish Water, and the participating Consultancy and Contractor firms referenced above.
Irish Water, Ireland’s national water utility, is responsible for the delivery of water and wastewater services to homes and businesses across the country. The current investment plan is one of the largest Capital Investment plans in the state (€3.6 billion over 5 years). As part of the Cross Industry Graduate Programme, you will gain experience in:
- Management of the investment in water and wastewater treatment, water distribution and storage, wastewater collection systems, energy efficiency projects
- Work on projects from feasibility study to completion of commissioning works
- Involvement in planning issues, design review, procurement, quality control and construction management
- Commercial management of contracts
- Learning about Health & Safety requirements
- Working with consultants and contractors to gain all-round industry experience.
During your time within a Consultancy environment, you can expect to be involved in undertaking project tasks and engineering design at the various stages of a project life cycle. As part of the Cross Industry graduate programme you will gain experience in:
- All aspects of the design process from feasibility to detailed design including innovative & sustainable problem solving, optioneering, surveying, modelling, fieldwork and financial assessment
- The planning stage, including environmental assessments, stakeholder consultations, planning submissions
- Supporting tender teams in the preparation of tender documentation, tender assessment and recommending preferred bidders
- Supervising and visiting contractors on-site and offering technical solutions on engineering challenges
- The implementation of current Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental best practice
Allied to the above, you will also gain invaluable project management skills, a key component of project success.
During your time working with a Contractor you will get hands on experience of live projects. To include:
- Involvement in the management of construction activity
- Detailed design from a construction perspective
- Ensuring projects are being delivered in compliance with standards and operating procedures
- Liaison with clients, Designers, statutory bodies as well as management of sub-contractors
- Programme and resource management
- Time and budget management
- Site Health & Safety and enforcement of safe site working practices
To be a successful candidate in this application process, you will have the following:
You are a recent or prospective graduate/postgraduate in Engineering (all disciplines); a relevant Science discipline; Quantity Surveying; Planning; or relevant degree (IT/Business/Finance) with strong analytics focus; additional qualification in data analytics/statistics or related field an advantage
You have a track record of academic success with Graduate or Post Graduate Qualification (minimum 2:1 L8)
- You are a natural problem solver who relishes working in diverse teams, and you have strong communication skills
- You naturally demonstrate initiative, innovation and drive, and a pride in the work you deliver
- You should also have strong IT skills with advanced MS Office and some Project Management software experience
- You must be fully eligible to work in Ireland for the duration of the programme
- A Full Driver’s Licence is preferable
In addition to best in class mentoring and on the job development, you will be given significant technical and personal development opportunities as part of the Graduate Programme.
Furthermore, we will align the training offering with relevant professional bodies including Engineers Ireland and CIWEM to help support you towards Chartership.On completion of this unique 2-year programme you will have gained invaluable experience and knowledge of each sector. Furthermore, you will have acquired a rounded perspective of the industry that will benefit your career, regardless of which area you choose to specialise, giving you a significant competitive advantage over your peers. You will also receive a certificate of completion providing evidence in support of your Chartership application.
As well as practical on-the-job training a structured training development programme will be provided. You will also be given the opportunity to work on innovative cross industry projects.Successful completion of the programme will require you to complete all three rotations. You will be contracted by your placement company for each 8-month rotation. A competitive and fair salary will be offered.