Kilkee Sewerage Scheme
Irish Water is working to end the unacceptable practice of untreated wastewater being discharged to Intrinsic Bay near Kilkee.
Irish Water is progressing the design stage of a project to install a new wastewater treatment plant in Kilkee and end the discharge of raw sewage to the marine environment. This project is currently at design stage and, following completion of site selection and land acquisition as well as a successful planning stage, Irish Water expects to commence works in 2024 on this project.
- Improved water quality in the receiving waters at Intrinsic Bay in compliance with national and EU regulations relating to the treatment of wastewater
- Enhanced environmental amenity of Kilkee
- Protection of recreational swimming, fishing, boating and sightseeing waters
- Provision for social and economic development and future growth within the Kilkee area
- A new Wastewater Treatment Plant
- An upgraded pumping station
- New rising main to transfer treated wastewater to existing outfall
- Testing and commissioning of the works
- The existing Victoria Pumping Station has undergone significant upgrade works including the installation of new pumps and associated equipment
- Further works at the station are ongoing which will improve the security of the energy supply to nearby housing development
- The upgraded Victoria Pumping Station electrical equipment has been sized to accommodate the new wastewater pumping station and accommodate future population growth in the local area
- This project is currently in the design and pre-planning stage
- We will maintain contact with the community in Kilkee in advance of and throughout the works
We’re working to eliminate raw sewage discharges in Ireland
- Work is now complete on 18 areas around the country, where there was no sewage treatment before.
- Over 60% of raw sewage is now being treated.
- This year we have 15 locations under construction across the country, prioritising the areas where it can make the biggest impact first.
- We are on track to fully remove the vast majority of raw sewage discharges by the end of 2025, with a total investment of €700 million.
- In Clare, works are underway in Liscannor, Kilrush and Clarecastle; and works planned for Ballyvaughan and Kilkee.
For further information you can contact the Project Team at ClareUWW@water.ie.